Florida: Identification Card
Not all Florida State residents are motorists. For those that are not, the FL DHSMV provides its residents with identification cards. The identification card is much like a driver’s license with your vital information and a photo. Proof of identity is necessary for many daily activities such as cashing a check or making arrangements to take a vacation.
The Florida State ID is as official as a driver’s license and provides the proof of identification which is vital in today’s world. To obtain a Florida State Identification Card is a simple process, and 4dmv.com has outlined it in this easy to understand guide.
Applying for a Florid ID Card is a simple process however you must have the proper documentation when you apply.
Applying For a Florida ID Card:
- Applicants are required to show proper proof of identity. To access a list of acceptable documentation visit Obtaining Your Florida Driver License or Identification Card
- Non-Citizen Applicants must also show proper proof of identity. To access a list of acceptable documentation visit Obtaining Your Florida Driver License or Identification Card
- Provide your Social Security Card if applicable
- Provide proof of your Florida State residential address
- Be responsible for paying the application fee
Florida ID cards are available to every Florida resident that is five years of age or older. The cost to obtain a Florida State Identification Card is $25 for an original card. For renewals, duplicates and address change the applicable fee is also $25.
Changing Your Address on Your Florida State Identification Card
Changing your address on your Florida State Identification Card you are required to fill out an Identification Card Address Change Form that can be found.
The form must be submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles in person. You will also need to bring a $25 check or money order payable to the Division of Drivers Licenses:
To change your address by mail complete the Identification Card Address Change Form and mail to:
Bureau of Records
PO Box 5775
Tallahassee, FL 32314-5775
Include your $25 check or money order payable to the Division of Driver Licenses
You also have the option of changing your address online. To change your address online, simply visit GoRenew.com
You may also apply for a new Identification Card online provided that you have a license record on file.
Renewing Your Florida State Identification Card
Identification cards expire every four years for holders that are 14 years of age and younger and for all other Florida State Identification Card holders the cards expire after eight years.
Renewal of the Florida State ID Card must be done prior to your birthday in the card’s expiration year. ID Card holders should receive an expiration notification by mail with various options to renew your ID Card.
To renew your card you can:
- Renew by phoning GoRenew at (866)467-3639
- Renew in person at your local Florida DHSMV office
- Renew by mailing the expiration notification along with a $25 check or money order payable to the Division of Driver Licenses
Replacing Your Florida State Identification Card
Replacing your Florida State Identification Card can be done by:
- Replacing online by visiting GoRenew.com
- Replacing the card in person. To replace your card in person you must visit your local driver’s license office and bring with you two acceptable pieces of documentation. For a list acceptable documentation visit Obtaining Your Florida Driver License or Identification Card
- You must also bring your Social Security card and proof of your residential address and birth date.
If you are a non-citizen you must apply in person to your local driver’s license off and provide proof that you are a legal alien. To access a list of acceptable proof of documentation visit Obtaining Your Florida Driver License or Identification Card
There will be a $25 replacement fee for all replacement cards.
Renewing Your Florida State Identification Card When You Are Out of State
If your Florida State Identification Card is due to expire and you are out of the state at the time you can easily renew it by contacting the Florida DHSMV main customer service line at: (866)617-2000. You May also renew it by:
- Submitting a request via email. For more information visit: Frequently called Phone numbers
- Renewing Online at GoRenew at (866)467-3639
For Out-of-State applicants that renew prior to their Florida State Identification Card expiring they will receive a 90 permit which will serve as your Florida ID Card.