BILL OF SALE
Colorado Bill of Sale
Do you need a Colorado motor vehicle bill of sale form but want to avoid the hassle of waiting at the DMV? 4DMV.com can help!
Are you selling a Colorado vehicle, or perhaps purchasing a used Colorado vehicle, and don't really know if you require a bill of sale? In most cases, you should utilize a motor vehicle bill of Sale to document any transaction, whether you are the buyer or the seller, as its main purpose is to document the details of the transaction lest there be a dispute in the future. In Colorado, however, a DMV bill of Sale is required to relinquish your ownership of a vehicle that you have sold, or registration of a vehicle or transfer of a title to a vehicle you have just purchased.
CO Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Requirements
A Colorado motor vehicle bill of sale must be first signed by the seller of the vehicle, with the necessary information reflected on the form:
- Vehicle buyer’s full name
- Transaction or sale price, if any
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Vehicle information, including the make, model and year
It is easy to obtain and complete a CO bill of sale, which must also contain the date of the sale, and the odometer reading to be acceptable proof of the vehicle's sale or purchase.
- Download and print Colorado Bill of Sale form
- Once the DMV bill of sale is completed by both seller and buyer, notarize or obtain a title perjury statement.
- Submit your completed forms to the Colorado DMV.
If you are the seller, a bill of sale form releases you from vehicle obligations, such as:
- Other type of situations the vehicle encounters with the new owner, regardless of whether or not the new owner has properly transferred documentation to their name
If you are the buyer, a motor vehicle bill of sale provides you with the proof you need to complete the registration and titling processes.
There are several other resources that allow you to find, purchase or download a generic Colorado DMV bill of sale. For other forms you may need when buying or selling a vehicle in Colorado, including for forms regarding special circumstances, visit the Colorado All Forms by Title page, where you can find documents and DMV publications by number, title or topic.