As an individual, you definitely have a spirit that you want to shine through everything you do—even driving. You definitely don’t want to blend in with the crowd when you have options to remain so different and so unique. Instead, you can so easily get California personalized license plates in order to put a little bit of yourself into your vehicle, where everyone who approaches or follows is able to see just who is driving and demanding the roads.
Who Can Get Personalized Plates in California?
- There are drivers of all types that are able to get special interest and special licenses that can really put forth the person you are inside that vehicle that can so easily consume you behind an anonymous machine. Any driver that operates a standard motor vehicle, including a car or truck, or operates a trailer or motorcycle, can add personalized plates to the front and/or rear. However, a motorcycle is only required to display a rear plate.
How Much Do They Cost?
- There are multiple prices for personalized plates, which really depends on your decision. The plate you choose will dictate the price you pay, which can be chosen at the time of completing your application: Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) or Special License Plate Application (REG 17a), which are two separate applications that you must be able to distinguish from each other. The Special Interest License Plate Application is used for special interest license plates, which fees from are donated to the cause you choose. However, special license plates are in honor, memorial, or display of a position, rank, or service you have provided. These license plates can be personalized with the characters that you decide, which can even be done online.
How to Get Your California Personalized Plates
Getting your California Personalized plates is easy. In fact, you can do it with just a few clicks of the mouse at the California DMV website. The first thing you are going to need to get started is the form to get California Personalized Plates, or the correct web address to complete the process online.
If you prefer to complete the application in person or by mail, you can download a PDF form for the type of license you are interested in:
You can request to have the California DMV send you the application in the mail by calling the toll-free telephone number to reach a live representative at 1-800-777-0133.
- If you chose to complete the form online, all you will need is your current and up-to-date registration, as well as the appropriate amount to pay the associated fees for the plate you chose. This can be paid for by e-check, debit or ATM card, credit card, check, money order, or even cash.
- If you chose to complete the form in person, you may want to make an appointment first, as wait times can be quite long within any of the California DMV regional offices. In fact, without an appointment you aren’t even guaranteed to complete your process and receive the services you need at all, with multiple visits sometimes required. To cut your wait time and jump to the front of the line, without having to skip your fellow drivers, you can call 1-800-777-0133 or make your appointment online at Appointment System. Bring the completed application with you and the appropriate fees—and you’re finished!
- You can expect to receive your new personalized special or special interest license plates within the mail in the next 8-12 weeks. If registration on the vehicle isn’t current, however, you will need to complete your registration or registration renewal first and pay all associated fees, which can be done along with the application for your personalized plates in order to get all the services you need in one simple visit.
- The mail in option is also available, in which you will complete your forms, attach the appropriate fees or pay online or by phone, and send to:
California Department of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 942869
Sacramento, CA 94269
- If you are getting a personalized license plate as a gift for someone that you care about, or for someone that should be recognized, you can follow the same process, however you will need the driver’s information instead. This is a great way to show someone you care in a very unique way, giving your loved driver something to be proud of on the roads.
If you end up selling the vehicle, you can keep your personalized plates by completing the same application you completed to obtain your plates. You will be charged an additional fee to maintain your own plates, but you can also surrender interest of the plates to obtain a standard California license plate if you prefer, again through the same application completed to get the plates initially. Getting special interest license plates in California is so easy, and 4dmv.com can ensure that you get the necessary processes done as efficiently as you would like for the quickest receipt of your personalized plates.